Yucatan Lemon Soup
An awesome Yucatan Lemon Soup that you will totally enjoy.
Write a review
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth choice
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and quartered
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- You will need a large saucepan or pot, then place the broth, jalapenos, onion, zest, garlic, cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon stick in the saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the saucepan and reduce the heat, continue to simmer the broth for twenty minutes and then strain the broth and discard the solids.
- Next return the broth to the saucepan and bring back to a low simmer. Now place the shrimps, lemon juice, salt and hot sauce in. Cook for a further 3 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and firm. Now stir in the cilantro and serve and enjoy.
- If you make too much broth you can store it in a air tight container for up to 3 months in the freezer. Then when you want to use it all you have to do is thaw the frozen broth out and then heat it up and add the shrimps or any other meat to the broth.
- If you cannot get any meyer lemons then you can use 2 table spoons of regular lemons and add 1 tablespoon of orange juice to add a little bit of sweetness to it.